Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My First Post

I am not quite sure when the furniture bug hit me. I have always been in love with beautiful pieces of furniture. I think I got it from my mother, who was always redesigning our living space. It never surprised me as a kid to come home from school and find the furniture rearranged and a new piece or two added to our lives. That was just how it was.

Many a weekend was spent at antique malls looking over cool things from the past and furniture that survived the years. My mother taught me what to look for in furniture and a lot of what she told me stuck. 

When I met my husband, I shared this love with him.  We would go antiquing on the weekends. Our very first bed was an old iron double bed my mother found for us at an antique store. We loved it! 5 years and 1 baby later, we still had that bed. Looking back, I have no idea how we even slept, all three of us, in that tiny double bed, but we did! We must have been thinner and younger. Hee-Hee. 

But, my first personal,up-close encounter with furniture began with when I visited an unfinished furniture store. My husband and I were newly married and I wanted something to hide our CRT TV (They were always ugly, weren't they?) I picked up a pine armoire for a couple hundred dollars and took it home. I stained and sealed it the best I could. I am proud to say that we still have that armoire today. It's not my favorite piece of furniture and not really my style any more, but the finish has lasted through 5 kids and a lot of abuse. It now holds blankets, clothes, and books for my two babies. 



Shortly after my success finishing the armoire, I bought an unfinished 13 drawer pine dresser from the same furniture store. This was to be our very first adult dresser. We didn't have a lot of money or a lot of room, so my husband and I had to share the dresser. He took one side - I took the other. I stained and sealed the dresser the same way I did the armoire and oila! We had a new, beautiful dresser I was totally proud of. 

We still have this one too. Two of my boys now share this big boy. The finish still looks great, albeit dated. I definitely would have stained it a different color today. 

Well, that's how my journey started. Thanks, Mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment