Monday, February 18, 2013

Industrial Metal Cabinet - Card Catalog Find

I have been looking for a card catalog for a long time. My preference has always been to find an old library card catalog like this one from Brooklyn Limestone.
Wood card catalog from Brooklyn Limestone
I still have yet to find one, but I did manage to score a metal industrial cabinet that does resemble a card catalog. 

It was in great shape structurally, but had more rust than I wanted. I sanded off most of the rust and gave it a thorough cleaning. Then I sprayed it with a rust inhibiting primer by Rustoleum in gray. 
Rustoleum Self Etching Primer

I really liked the way it sprayed. No matter what I did, the primer went on even. And best of all, it stops rust. 


After priming the cabinet, I glazed it with a walnut color glaze. What a difference the glaze made! It softened the gray and made it look like the original cabinet and gave it a smoother finish.

I wish I had a picture of the before.
Industrial Metal Cabinet / Card Catalog

Metal Cabinet labels


See how great it looks. I cleaned up the pulls. I left a little of the tarnish and rust to keep it looking vintage and added these cool labels.



Metal industrial cabinet

The really cool thing about this whole experience is that when I first brought this cabinet home, I discovered that I had bought the history of the cabinet too. Inside the drawers were newspaper clippings and other papers from the All Jersey Dairy Company! It was fun reading ads and magazine articles from the 1960s about dairy farming and the nutritional value of milk. 
All Jersey Dairy

Metal cabinet from All Jersey Dairy
Cool, huh?!

1 comment:

  1. It turned out great! I'm a little jealous.. I've been trying to find a card catolog too. That's so cool it came with all those papers. How fun to learn the history.

    ReplyDelete