Wednesday, March 13, 2013

White Campaign Desk

Dixie Campaign Desk
 I found this great mid century Campaign desk by Dixie on Craigslist. It had seen better days, but was structurally good. It has those awesome faux bamboo legs, but they were really in rough shape. They looked like a cat had used them for a scratching post and needless to say, they needed lots of wood filler.

I primed with Zinsser and sprayed it with Benjamin Moore's Advance it Linen White. I love this white. It is not quite as stark as a pure white, but isn't too creamy either. Lastly, I applied 3 coats of Polycrylic. With Advance this last step isn't really necessary since this oil based paint with dry with a hard finish. I really just wanted the sheen the poly gives it.

I cleaned up the brass hardware by soaking it overnight in vinegar. The vinegar took most of the tarnish off. Whatever tarnish was left, I just left it that way. I think a little tarnish adds character. The corner metal pieces were not real brass, so I spray painted them gold to brighten them up.

Here's the new and improved Campaign desk. Doesn't it look great in white?

White Painted Campaign Desk



No comments:

Post a Comment